Oddorama

January 3, 2008

Unusual Equivalents: Weirdest News of the Week

Christmas Power Tools = New Years Hospitalizations: Wellington – Christmas gifts of things like power tools to New Zealanders, who are dedicated do-it-yourself home handymen, lead thousands of them to hospital, a newspaper reported on Friday. The Accident Compensation Corporation received about 10,000 claims for DIY injuries last year, of which about 2,000 were classified as moderate to serious, the New Zealand Herald reported.

Pig + Space Heater = House Fire ST. AUGUSTINE, Fla. — A man’s effort to keep his pig warm during Wednesday night’s freeze ended up starting a fire that caused about $50,000 in damages to his St. Johns County home. Firefighters were called about 10:20 p.m. when a home on Frances Avenue caught on fire. They later learned the homeowner brought his pig onto the porch and put out a space heater to keep it warm.

Unlikely= Not Impossible: It is a tale some would say smells a bit fishy, but Kristy Brittain swears it is true. Last Friday she was kneeboarding behind a boat off Slopen Main on the Tasman Peninsula, east of Hobart, when she was tossed from her board in rough conditions. In the fall she lost a nose stud from a piercing she had done only a week before Christmas. Miss Brittain, 25, of Magra, never expected to see the tiny stud again. Enter a hungry flathead.

Powered by WordPress